We're Both DEAF - Want To Start Mobile Snack Business

by Paul and Shane

I have found your site interesting - there's other questions I been trying to find out - do we need a licence to run the coffee snack MINIBUS? as I can't find it anywhere.

As mostly were stating Food and Hygiene Certificate - LPG
Test Certificate (gas) and an Electric Certificate (yes) - thing is we're only selling coffee/teas and other soft cans drinks OJ etc, foods are such snacks that were mars bars (wrapped chocs sweets), crisps - buttered toasts and tea cakes.

So this it's not related to cooking oil or Gas?! Only a toaster and coffee machine, OJ machine... etc...Will expand once we found what customers would like to add...in future to give us some ideas to improve in some surroundings areas.

Do we need a licence for selling? We get confused with other things that we MUST have a licence or NOT? Help...

We're thinking to START a business with a minibus ASAP and we starting from scratch - mind you - we're Both DEAF - but really need to know more and we have ALREADY got a minibus converted. 8 seating area table with service at the back.

Our goal plan hopes to start in Early Summer in Car Boots areas each week as start off with. (I know we need to contact the organiser whether to pitch a regular spot.

There's others ideas we need research before we could expand to further areas rather than car boots each week(!) one question do we need a licence to be in the town area? (outside of course!)

We had been checking areas not being clashed their business against ours! A test run wouldn't hurt through. Do we need someone to inspect our minibus such as an Electric Certificate?
I would like to hear your advice..


Paul and Shane (name of trading not decided)

Comments for We're Both DEAF - Want To Start Mobile Snack Business

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 25, 2011
Regsiter Your Food Business
by: David

Hi Paul and Shane,

I can see that you have a lot of questions so will do my best to answer them all.

Firstly if you intend to only serve cold drinks and coffee you may not need a food and hygiene certificate, since you won?t be preparing, storing or handling any food items.

But you should still contact your local council and register your food business; they will give you clear guidelines according to your local council as this may vary depending on where you live.

You will also need to purchase some liability insurance and employer?s limited liability insurance to cover you and the customers you serve.

It is also in your interest to have an electric test done on your vehicle to make sure it?s safe to use, which may also include a P.A.T for smaller electrical items like kettles and toasters.

A lot of car boot sales and pitches (event organiser) will want to see these certificates.

Once these certificates are in place and you have a pitch to trade from, there is no reason why you can?t get started in mobile catering as soon as possible.

Best of luck
p.s Get My Free Mobile Catering Guide

Free 12 Step Start Up Guide

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Start Mobile Catering .