Outdoor Kitchen Regulations

by Laura


I have a started up my own mobile catering business, we operate out of a 16ft catering trailer. We have been accepted to trade at a big event this summer.

As all our food is made from scratch I will need to build a prep kitchen in a marquee out the back of the trailer as the cooking facilities in the trailer will not be enough.

I will need a 6 burner range with gas oven and was wandering what the regulations are regarding connecting this up to LPG & whats the best way to go about it. Do the gas bottles need to be a certain distance from the trailer?

Also what are the other regulations regarding a prep kitchen in a tent? Does the floor have to be covered if it's grass? etc.

I would be so grateful for any insight & information

Many thanks

Comments for Outdoor Kitchen Regulations

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 27, 2014
Thank you!
by: Laura

Amazing, Thank you so much David for all your info & advice!
I will speak to my gas man & EVH officer for further advice.
That another idea to just rent a seperate mobile kitchen, I hadn't thought of that & will look into it.
Many thanks, I really appreciate it :)

Feb 20, 2014
Mobile Catering Temporary Structure
by: David

Hi Laura,

You will need to meet the same requirements more or less as if you were preparing it inside your trailer. So the outside preparation area should be to the same standard to meet food law, safety and hygiene requirement.

The structure should be fully covered top and sides with adequate ventilation; be weather proof/water proof/pests proof and be constructed ideally fire retardant material.

The actual wall/surfaces units inside should also be easily cleanable and the floor/walkways should be to a non-slip standard to further reduce any hazards. It may well be worth contacting a MUTAmarq accredited specialist for specific advice, MUTA are a trade association for temporary structure, visit them here for more detailed information.

With regards to LPG equipment I think, but you need to confirm that if you are just connecting 1 piece of equipment with x1 LPG bottle that you may be exempt from LPG/TEST, but confirm this with your LPG engineer.

If it’s more than 1 piece of equipment then you will more than likely need to get an engineer to look over the set up and eliminate any hazards.

All in all it takes a lot of planning to make sure your temporary structure is to the legal and required standards; and make sure to carry out a full health, safety and hazard analysis report. Your local council EHO will also be able to advise you fully. It might also be worth considering renting another catering trailer/mobile kitchen if cost affective.

Wishing you the best of luck with your event, let us know what else you discover and how you get on.

PS. Get my free guide on Starting a Mobile Catering Business Guide

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Start Mobile Catering .