Mobile Catering What permissions does a school need?

by Mary
(Kingston upon Thames, UK)

Our school's canteen is quite small and queues long. We're managing but are considering buying a mobile unit to put inside the school grounds, where we could offer paninis, juices etc. and reduce the long queues inside the canteen. Our Catering staff have a 5 star hygiene rating and are very knowledgeable but would the school need a license or other trading permissions?

Comments for Mobile Catering What permissions does a school need?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 17, 2019
Mobile Catering School Premises
by: Carole

Hello Mary,

Yes you will need to register your mobile catering business with the council if you want to carry out any ‘food operations’.

Food operations include:

selling food
cooking food
storing or handling food
preparing food
distributing food

You must register every premises where you carry out food operations, including your home, and mobile or temporary premises such as stalls, vans and catering units. Any new catering facility on the school premises will have to undergo the same inspections and have the safe food management system in place, including risk assessments.

Adding a new portable/ catering unit may also need to include planning permission and adhering to building regulations.

It would be advisable to seek professional advice from a reputable company who provide portable catering/units as they will be able to guide you through the planning process and keep you working within the law.


P.S Get the free guide on Starting a Mobile Catering Business

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Mobile Catering Licence .