LPG catering equipment gas safe certificates

by Dave


Easy year we run a camp for a group of kids for a charity. We have struggled to get guidance from employed staff what needs to be done to get the equipment tested/serviced. We require Gas Safe certificates.

We have a number of items from ring burners to water boiler burcos. For many years the equipment has used orange hose to a regulator connected to the cylinder like you would if you went camping with family. The kitchen is set up in a canvas kitchen and the hoses go from the tables the LPG equipment is on, to the floor under the side of the tent to the gas cylinders outside.

We have been told that the hoses can only be 1.5 metres longs, which isn't long enough to go under the tent side to the cylinder.

The engineer today said the equipment needs to be tightness tested of the mains, but we only use cylinder gas. Said he needs to order parts to out between the equipment and the hose to do tests too.

Is this right?

I was under the impression he would just test the hose pressures, regulators and the equipment from the cylinder.

Comments for LPG catering equipment gas safe certificates

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 25, 2019
by: Gerrard


You need an annual test certificate where you carry out activities outside of domestic use.

Orange hose is unlikely to be adequately sized to cope with the demand of multiple appliances, a company called BES supply armoured hoses (you gas engineer should know them) in various lengths and in 1/2, 3/4 & 1 inch diameter, there can be joint to create a larger flexible gas carcass that you can plug your short lengths of orange hose into via quick release couplers.

Orange hose needs to be within 5 years of firmest secured with o clips, not jubilee.

You need to have a single emergency control valve on your gas carcass, your regulator needs an Opso safety valve (BES) and regulator and gas bottles must match the gas demand.

All appliances require safety cut-offs referred to as fsd or ffd.

Appliance outlets for hot flue gases need to be 600 off the marquee side, gas bottles must be 1 m from marquee sides and other combustible materials, secured against toppling over and public interference.

Ventilation on two sides in required, all staff must be brief not to operate the gas unless the sides are open or display signage.

When you assemble the use the gas carcass for the first time and connect bottles, test all newly made joints with a shop bought gas leak detector fluid.

When testing, the engineer will carry out a gas leak test at 29/30mb using the gas bottles, they will then test the operating pressure of each appliances to ensure it is correct and then again with all appliances running to ensure all components are of adequate size.

You cannot have one gas bottle per appliance.

Engineer tests can be carried out with either a temporary test point or a fixed one on the emergency control valve.

Hope that helps.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to LPG Gas Equipment Certificates.