Inspection of LPG Cookers and Pipework for Mobile Canteens

by Ebaz

The company I work for have a few canteens and mobile units.

My questions are:-

1)if a canteen unit is put on a site for a few months, should it be checked by a Gas safe engineer once up and running? also, when it moves from that site (on the back of a lorry) would it need to be check by a gas safe engineer when it arrives at a new location?

2) for mobile units that move from location to location, what inspection regimes should be in place? do they have to be checked at each new location?

I have read numerous bits of guidance on the internet and am now confused.

Any help or advice given is gratefully received.

Comments for Inspection of LPG Cookers and Pipework for Mobile Canteens

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 07, 2014
Inspection of LPG For Mobile Canteens
by: Brian

Hi Ebaz,

If these units do not feature wheels, they are not really mobile catering vehicles, rather fixed kitchens that happen to be transportable and therefore subject to TB140, CAIS23, DW172 etc etc, rules on ventilation, interlock and gas safety, rather than UKLPG codes of practice 24 parts 3 or 4 for catering trailers and marquees.

The only activity not considered gas 'work' is the attaching of a gas hose and regulator to a portable LPG heater, and the changing on LPG cylinders, which doesn't leave a lot of scope for event traders setting up.

When a unit is transported and placed, issues such as positioning of gas bottles and canopy extract terminals can be gas safety issues. Companies such as PKL use their own engineers and contractors to commission transported transportable kitchens I understand.

So in answer, the gas safety regulations have rules that dictate that employers much carry out necessary checks on gas equipment to ensure that they can be used safely. CAIS23 go further stating catering businesses must have annual checks, six monthly if required by heavy use.

If you are not making any new pipework connections, transporting gas bottles in lockers, just literally plugging in the electric, turning on fans and gas then no, I do not believe you need an engineer to commission. More than that and you may need commissioning.

Pop up kitchens, at a meeting I attended a couple of years ago with NCASS and others in the industry, it was reported that Calor gas' technical manager declared them not to be fixed gas installations subject to GSIUR (the gas regs). Which compounded a grey area of owners building up gas rails and appliances at events.

I carry out inspections at large music festivals, there are competent traders and some that have their own ideas about safety, I am less than impressed by some of the gas safety paperwork I see also.

My point is, risk assess what you think you need to protect your staff and your reputation, if it is not feasible to have a commissioning engineer, then ensure you have clear procedures for setting up, leak spray available for testing after cylinder changes (delf in very good and cheap), if in doubt take to your insurers and ask them what they require as a minimum.

If you need any more information or wish to send photos of your equipment please send to

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to LPG Gas Equipment Certificates.

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.