Catering Trailer Questions

by Randa

Hi David, this is a fantastic resource, it has been so helpful so far.

We have got to the point where we now have a small trailer but it is completely stripped back and we need to equip it and paint it. Before buying any equipment, am I right in saying that it's best to try to buy all lpg equipment and nothing electric? It seems lpg items cost more than electric, and I don't want to buy it all and find I didn't have to!

Also how do I store the lpg bottles? Are they stored outside the trailer when in use?
Last thing which is really confusing me - I'm told I need two sinks with hot/cold water. But I see loads of trailers at events that only have one sink, and not running water. Could you clarify?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Comments for Catering Trailer Questions

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 07, 2014
Twin Sinks
by: David

Hi Randa,

I’m not saying that you should have all LPG equipment, but for me it worked well to have everything running off LPG.

This way I didn’t need to lug around a generator or be faced with having an Electric or P.A.T test (P.A.T is for small appliances like toaster, microwave) which was the case with my first catering vehicle.

Unfortunately LPG equipment is more expensive, so it’s up to you to weigh up if you want to spend the extra money, maybe you need specific equipment that runs better of electric.

Do make sure all equipment especially if second-hand has the CE mark or it may not pass the testing phase.

As for LPG bottles this needs to be stored outside the vehicle in its proper housing (attached to vehicle) and should be located within a lockable compartment to prevent tampering.

I WOULD strongly advise you get a qualified LPG engineer to install all equipment as it’s also a legal requirement. They will also check all piping, regulator, connections, gas safety valves etc throughout the vehicle; this is best done at the early stage of the fit.

Finally, you should have 2 sinks present on the vehicle; one if for washing your hands only and the other is for general washing use. This is important as when it’s time to have your food vehicle registered/ inspected by the local council EHO they will want to make sure that you are following food safety regulations.

Wishing you the best of luck and let us know how you get on


PS. Get my free guide on Starting a Mobile Catering Business Guide

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Catering Trailer Cooking Equipment.

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.