Setting Up Coffee Business in House.

by Peter

Hello, I'm just toying with the idea of selling coffee from the back of my house. I live in a side street, just off a busy thoroughfare in a touristy area. I also have a small patio that is just off the street.

It's an ideal spot to sell coffee from. I'm just a bit unsure what kind of licensing, permissions I would need. It would just be a morning and afternoon thing and would be largely take away, apart from a couple of chairs in the patio. I would also sell cakes.

Anyway help on this would be great.

Comments for Setting Up Coffee Business in House.

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 12, 2014
Coffee Business in House
by: David

To sell any food/drink items to the public you will need to firstly register with the local council. Your kitchen has to be inspected by an EHO before you can start trading.

Since you also intend to sell drink/food directly from your residential property (run business from home), you may also need to apply for planning permission for a change of use; and you may also be liable for business rates. Furthermore you will also need to inform your landlord/mortgage/insurance company to make them aware of the changes.

I don’t know how likely it will be for the council to give you permission to trade from outside your residential property.

They will need to take into account the local area, residents and other business in the vicinity.

I hope this give you some insight.

Best of luck

PS. Get my free guide on Starting a Mobile Catering Business Guide

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Mobile Catering Licence .