Caravan Snack Bar - On The Verge Of Starting My Own Catering Business

by jim
(north lanarkshire)

Hi, I have just finished converting a caravan into a mobile snack van. I am an ex HGV driver and was fed up with standing outside a snack van in the cold and wet. Now I don’t have to anymore!

Any way the van is now fitted with a new gas griddle, 3 sinks, 4 pot bain marie, tea urn, all ready had 240v and hot water supply installed in the caravan anyway that was easy.

What I do need is someone to do a gas and electric check in my area do you know who would do this or could you find out??

I have found a good site and am just ready to apply for planning permission and my street trader’s licence.

I have my food and hygiene certificate in place and also currently looking into getting my public liability insurance sorted out.

What else should I be looking out for? Great site and very helpful.


Comments for Caravan Snack Bar - On The Verge Of Starting My Own Catering Business

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 15, 2012
Caravan conversion to catering
by: Anonymous

I have a caravan (18ft) that has been converted to a mobile Burger van etc...Council disallowed license due to it being a beware!

I spent almost £7,800 converting it! Wasted!

My comments to the council? Your a load of w*****s!

Jul 25, 2010
D.I.y burger van
by: Paul

Would like to build my own burger van I have a 4 berth caravan in good condition would there be any problems doing it as I don't no the rules on building your own van

Jan 24, 2010
Caravan snack bar conversion
by: Anonymous


This is just a response to caravan coversion to catering trailer. I was on the verge of purchasing a caravan for catering purposes and when i spoke to the gas safe man for a quote to test appliances he told me they don't give certificates to caravan conversions.

This put me off purchasing it, but i hope he was wrong now that i've read your question. Good luck

Dec 16, 2009
Great To Hear That You Will Soon Be Starting Your Business
by: Anonymous

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear that your soon going to be on the other end of the snack wagon, the cooking side that is.

I’m sure you will make it a great success and it seems that your have done a great deal of work to make such great progress.

Well done!

As for getting your LPG certificate try a Corgi registered engineer in your area call 01256 372 300 say you want a number of an engineer who specializes in LPG and Mobile Van/Trailers in your area they should be able to recommend someone locally for you.

Also try Gascom on 01933652777 as they may also be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

For electrical inspection call the mobile caravan engineers association on 01249 651036 hopefully they again should be in a position to help you out or at least recommend someone.

Once again best of luck to you in your new business! Keep us updated.

Best of luck

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Catering Trailer Cooking Equipment.

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.